“Dedicated to supporting spiritual guides in their efforts to work in a
Tacheria School of Spiritual Direction is a two-year interfaith course for those called to spiritual direction/companionship. This course is also for those who are seeking to weave a contemplative inner journey into their daily living and/or would like to experience practices and teachings from different spiritual traditions.
This course encompasses and explores the beliefs of many of the world’s spiritual traditions and religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Muslim Shamanism, Sufiism and Native American spirituality. Spiritual leaders from many disciplines make up the faculty and share their insights, knowledge, wisdom and experience during the two years of the class.
Learning in the school is both didactic and experiential and participants are experientially involved in the course through dialogue, readings, and activities along with engaging in holy listening practices with their fellow classmates. This course will prepare those who wish to accompany others in life through spiritual direction/companionship. Participants are safe to explore in a supportive community. We welcome people of all races, ethnic backgrounds, gender/sexual orientations and religious/spiritual beliefs.
Tacheria Interfaith School of Spiritual Direction details:
- Two-year commitment with classes held monthly from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- 2nd Saturday for ten (10) months, beginning in September and ending in June. Due to COVID-19, classes were held via Zoom throughout the fall 2021, but the December retreat was held at Redemptorist Center, Picture Rocks, in person. Due to the hands-on content of several spring classes, they will also be held in person including the Jamal Rahman event in March (at St. Phillips in the Hills, Tucson). CDC guidelines each month will determine if we change back to virtual/online classes).
- Yearly cost is $600. Payments can be made throughout the year. Limited scholarship help is available.
- To apply, just click on the application, fill out the form and submit it electronically.
- $50.00 non-refundable application fee. Please submit via PayPal, below, or mail fee check/money order/cashier’s check to: Tacheria c/o Betty Stauffer 5404 N Estelle Dr., Tucson, AZ 85718
Once the application is submitted, you will be contacted by Betty Stauffer, who is the Co-Director of the Tacheria Interfaith School to schedule an interview to finalize the process.
Betty Stauffer, graduated from Tacheria School for Spiritual Direction in 2004. She was first introduced to spiritual direction through the Church of the Savior in Washington D.C. in 1985. She has been in spiritual direction herself and served as a spiritual director and retreat leader since that time. Betty is a former Elder in the Presbyterian Church USA and was very active in their Hunger Ministries. She is a social worker who has served as an Executive Director, first of New Life Community in Cleveland, Ohio and from 2002 to 2020 at Literacy Connects in Tucson, AZ. Betty became a Co-Director of Tacheria with Frank Williams in 2018. She became Director in 2021.