Spiritual direction explores a deeper relationship with the spiritual aspect of being human. Simply put, spiritual direction is helping people tell their sacred stories everyday. Spiritual direction has emerged in many contexts using language specific to particular cultural and spiritual traditions. Describing spiritual direction requires putting words to a process of fostering a transcendent experience that lies beyond all names and yet the experience longs to be articulated and made concrete in everyday living. It is easier to describe what spiritual direction does than what spiritual direction is. Spiritual direction helps us learn how to live in peace, with compassion, promoting justice, as humble servants of that which lies beyond all names.Liz Budd Ellmann, MDiv, Executive Director, Spiritual Directors International
Spiritual direction, sometimes called spiritual companionship or holy listening, is the practice of being with people as they attempt to deepen their relationship with the Mystery,( sometimes named in other spiritual traditions as the Divine, God, Allah, Yahweh, Shiva, Tara, the Mother Goddess, Great Spirit, etc.) It is not about being “directed,” rather, it is about satisfying the longing of drawing closer to our true selves and to God.
The Gifts of Spiritual Direction:
• An opportunity to explore and contemplate your experiences within the
• Development of a clearer sense of purpose and meaning and a greater
sense of connection to all life.
• How to integrate spiritual practices into your daily life.
• Development of a deeper sense of discernment of how Spirit moves in
• Deepen and refine your current religious and spiritual affiliations.
• Develop a sensitivity for social justice
• Provides a safe, respectful listening space to explore your inner values
and spiritual possibilities.